Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Birthday Cake Pancakes

For Keely's 24th birthday, I knew I wanted to start the day off in a most special way. When I ran across birthday cake pancakes on Pinterest, I didn't have to look any further. It's a no-brainer. This is for a girl who carries a Kate Spade tote bag that says, "Eat Cake for Breakfast."


Of course, mine didn't look anything like the original picture, nor does anything else I make from Pinterest for that matter! These are real. And really, really good.


Next time I make them, I would change two things:
  1. Cut the recipe in half. I had twice as much batter as I needed for the three of us.
  2. Add the sprinkles to the batter as you go. . . unless you want a tie dye effect, which is pretty cute, too.
Steve said that these are the pancakes he wants to eat from now on. I immediately told him, "Nope. You have to wait for your own birthday." Come to think of it, though, I think Keely was right when she posted, "Life's too short not to eat birthday cake pancakes. #sprinkles." So, I promise to not have Steve wait 350 days for this treat. Yes, we should all eat something cute on our birthday, but perhaps this is a fine motto for any other day!


Birthday Cake Pancakes

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup yellow cake mix
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1-1/2 cups buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup sprinkles 
Directions:
Heat a griddle or nonstick skillet over medium heat. Mix all dry ingredients; set aside. In a separate bowl, lightly beat the eggs with a whisk. Add the milks and vanilla and whisk to combine. Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir until fully mixed. Fold in the sprinkles. 

Scoop portions (approximately 1/3 cup) onto the griddle, leaving room for the batter to spread into larger rounds. When the pancakes begin to bubble, flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Serve with syrup or optional icing (powdered sugar and whipping cream mixed to desired consistency).

Source: Adapted from Seeded at the Table

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover