Monday, May 6, 2013

Cinco de Mayo Bridal Shower

The invitations promised "some chippin', dippin', and margarita sippin'." We certainly lived up to that promise! What a fun time we had hosting a bridal shower on Cinco de Mayo. Shown below is Cindy Pickett (Mother of the Bride), Kim Suiter, Lindsey Pickett (bride), Cindi Burtnett, and myself.


This was one fiesta that was hot, hot, hot! A huge thanks to my sister Jackie for providing almost all of the decorations and serving pieces.



The menu mostly consisted of a variety of appetizers. Watermelon salad bites became sandia salad bites. I gambled on this recipe. The internet assured me that this appetizer received 5 out of 5 stars even though I thought it sounded odd. It was simply chunks of watermelon coated with olive oil and lime juice, then topped with feta cheese, and a thinly sliced serrano chile. My grocery didn't have serrano chile (whatever that is), so I used a jalapeno instead. I just needed any kind of green pepper, right? Wrong! These were incredibly hot!!!


Perhaps the crowd favorite was the jalapeno poppers. Ironically, there are no jalapenos here. I used sweet peppers instead, stuffed with a mixture of cream cheese and sausage.


A last minute decision for me was to serve cream cheese topped with pepper jelly, served with crackers. I just knew I had to use this great serving piece! The last minute decision resulted in this appetizer not having its own name card. Oh well. Cindi gave me a hard time about that, teasing me that I broke my own rule. :)


We also had homemade salsa and white cheese, or queso blanca dip:



I thought the Mexican flag veggies made for a cute presentation. I don't think it was touched, though!



Then came some heartier appetizers:  beefy taco dip, buffalo chicken dip, green chile dip (my personal favorite), chicken enchilada cups, and mini chicken tacos.






For drinks, we served frozen margaritas as well as a non-alcoholic limon drink (lemon-lime drink).  Some ladies figured out that mixing the two made for a great combination!

Tres leches cake was just the right touch to satisfy one's sweet tooth. It means "three milk cake." I'm not sure what the three milks were, but it was one of the most moist and amazing cakes I've ever tasted. Kudos to the local Mexican bakery for their hand in making and decorating this great cake!


As mentioned in my previous post, homemade Mexican pralines were the take-home favors.


I think the biggest hit of the day was the photo booth. We were able to capture everyone's picture before they left. I'm not sure if it was the sombreros, mustaches, margaritas, or a combination of all of those things, but we sure got to see some fun personalities!



The husbands were invited at the end for clean-up. Food, that is. 


What a blast! Congratulations, Ben and Lindsey! :{D

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this information on bridal shower party. Few weeks ago, I arranged my niece’s bridal shower party by booking one of best New York wedding venues. It was a themed event and everyone liked arrangements very much.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover