Saturday, March 25, 2017

J Alexander's Copycat Carrot Cake

One of Steve's favorite desserts is J Alexander's carrot cake. It's amazing. For years, I had been trying to get the recipe. No luck. . . that is, until we moved to Franklin. When we were having dinner one night several years ago at a local seafood restaurant, Steve and I shared a piece of its carrot cake. We were surprised and delighted that it tasted very much like J Alexander's. I was hoping to get the recipe. No harm in asking, right? Surprisingly, the chef came out to our table after I made my request. I was shocked! (At the time, I couldn't find a copycat recipe online. Today, you can find many variations.)



The chef said, "Are you ready?"
I quickly grabbed a random piece of paper in my handbag, and he started reciting the recipe from memory. The list of ingredients kept getting longer and longer.
"You're pulling my leg, aren't you? Surely you don't have this recipe memorized. Or, maybe it's sabotage!?! Seriously. I promise to buy your carrot cake every time we have dinner here."
"Trust me. I've been making this for years. Yes, I have it memorized."

I've only made it twice because it is so decadent. The first time was several years ago when I first got the recipe. I didn't realize it at the time that the chef was giving me the restaurant variation, so it made a huge batch. The second time I made it was last night. I thought it would be the perfect cake to make for Scott's birthday since I knew carrot cake was a favorite of his, too. I was right. And in Scott's case, he didn't even have to worry about the calories. :)

I love this sign we found at The Factory in Franklin.

 J Alexander's Copycat Carrot Cake

Ingredients for Cake:

  • 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1 (8 oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
  • 2-1/2 cups grated carrots
  • 1/2 cup coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans

Ingredients for Cake Syrup:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Ingredients for Cream Cheese Frosting:

  • 2 sticks butter, room temperature
  • 1 (8 oz) package cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 box powdered sugar (about 4 cups)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Mix together first five dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, mix together the next seven ingredients. Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, mixing well. Pour into a greased 9x13 cake pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

While cake is baking, begin making cake syrup. Combine ingredients in medium saucepan. Cook over medium heat until sugar is dissolved.

When cake is finished baking, poke holes all over hot cake with a fork. Pour the cake syrup over the top. Refrigerate until cool.

Make cream cheese frosting by combining ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth. Top completely cooled cake with cream cheese frosting. Garnish with chopped pecans (optional).

4 comments:

Pin It button on image hover