Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dessert Fondue

One of my favorite restaurants is The Melting Pot. I just believe having fondue, especially for dessert, is such a fun treat. Keely knows this about me, too, and that's why she gave me two small fondue pots (orange, no doubt) for Christmas 2 years ago. The fondue is kept warm with a simple tea light candle. I have researched so many different fondue recipes on the internet, and my favorites not only taste great, but they're the easiest recipes I have:  only two ingredients! It doesn't get any better than that!

My first favorite fondue is caramel-pecan. Admittedly, I came across this recipe by accident. When Keely and I planned to serve dessert fondue for New Years Eve earlier this year, I tried a recipe that I had found where you heat up butter, sugar, milk, and I don't even remember what else because I threw away the recipe after making it twice and scorching it both times. Not one to give up since we were already in party-mode, I quickly went to the fridge, found a bottle of caramel ice cream topping, popped it in the microwave, and then just sprinkled chopped pecans on top. That's it! It was delicious with absolute perfect consistency. So simple. I'll never try to make it again "from scratch."

Now for my next favorite. Of course, it has to be chocolate. For New Years, I did make a chocolate fondue from scratch that turned out great: butter, heavy cream, chocolate chips, etc. This is what I planned on serving at our Soup-er Bowl party for Steve, the Burtnetts, the Suiters, the Picketts, and Ralph Brett. It ended up being a group effort. Cindy brought a variety of dippers (strawberries, bananas, pineapple, pound cake, and peanut butter cookies). I made some Rice Krispie treats for dipping, too. When I was telling Kim what the plans were, she told me about how she learned to make chocolate fondue that was served at a nice restaurant while she was vacationing in Banff, Canada. Furthermore, she already had the ingredients since she was going to make it for Christmas, but didn't. I now have a new favorite. The one I had initially planned to make tastes just as good I believe; however, why add complexity to a planned event when you don't need to? Just two ingredients: Toblerone chocolate bars and heavy cream. Yep, that's my kind of recipe.


Cindi then added that she has had it with Toblerone white chocolate bars and kahlua instead of the heavy cream. You can bet that I'll be trying this combo next! 


Unlike many others, I am not going to serve fondue only once a year on that one "special" occasion. It's too much fun. Take out the fondue sets, light a couple of tea lights, mix together just two ingredients, and serve with a variety of dippers. Show your family and friends just how special they really are to you. They deserve it!

Dessert Fondue

Caramel-Pecan:
  • 1 cup caramel ice cream topping (I used Smucker's caramel flavored sundae syrup.)
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans

Chocolate:
  • 4 (3.52 oz) Toblerone milk chocolate bars (Swiss milk chocolate with honey and almond nougat)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream

White Chocolate-Kahlua:
  • 4 (3.52 oz) Toblerone white chocolate bars
  • 1/2 cup kahlua

Directions:
Heat two ingredients in the microwave for 1 minute. Stir well. May need to repeat. Transfer to fondue pot. Serve with a variety of dippers such as fruit, pound cake, cookies, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover