Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ever since my fun niece Hayley contributed her Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup to the family cookbook, I couldn't wait to serve it at our "Soup-er Bowl" party just like she did. First of all, anything with Crock Pot in the title sure gets my attention. I always look for recipes that are easy, take minimal effort to prepare, and taste great. As a result, I got to enjoy a great game with great friends instead of slaving in the kitchen. (Yeah Eli! New York Giants 21, New England Patriots 17)

I ended up modifying the recipe below just slightly. First of all, I ended up using more chicken. Although I used 3 chicken breasts, they weighed closer to 2 pounds than 1 pound. I also left out the onions, garlic cloves, and bay leaf. Instead, I sprinkled some Paula Deen House Seasoning in it to taste. Not surprisingly, it was delicious and one that I will definitely make again. Thanks, Hayley!


Crock Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb frozen chicken breasts (3-4 breasts)
  • 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes
  • 1 (10 oz) can green enchilada sauce
  • 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chile peppers
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cans low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 can (10 oz) corn
  • 1 can black beans
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (add into before serving)
  • 2 corn tortillas (cut into strips)

Directions:
Place frozen chicken breasts on bottom of crock pot. Place everything else into the pot, except cilantro and tortillas. Cut tortillas into strips and place in oven to toast. Cook soup on low for 6-8 hours in crock pot. Shred chicken after 7 hours of cooking and add the cilantro and tortilla strips before serving. Serve with optional toppings: avocado, sour cream, extra cilantro, or brown rice.

1 comment:

  1. I love love love this soup! It reheats amazingly well! I'm not a big chicken fan..so I always seem to put less of that and more garlic! :) Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover