Saturday, December 10, 2016

Bacon Crackers

One of my favorite holiday events I look forward to now is Margaret Ann and Nancy's My Favorite Things party. My first invite was several years ago when we were new to the neighborhood. Until then, I was only used to "Secret Santa" and/or the traditional "White Elephant" exchange of presents. This is something quite different:

To begin, each person chooses one of her favorite things and brings 3 of them individually wrapped to the party. It may be a cosmetic, cleaning product, piece of clothing, food item, etc. Three years ago, the price limit was $8 or less that made it a little more challenging for some. Not me. It took no time at all for me to select Flylady's rubba scrubba. In fact, I love these so much that all of my extended family received one for Christmas previously. Last year, the limit was raised to $10. I was able to choose a collection of spices from The Savory Spice Shop, one of my favorite stores in downtown Franklin. This year, the limit was raised to $11. My gift this year was a jar of pickled okra that Keely and I made this summer that has become a new favorite side for us. It has replaced the typical pickle when I have a sandwich, and we also use them on a charcuterie tray. Since Keely enjoys them as a garnish in Bloody Marys, she also suggested I include a Bloody Mary mix (from my favorite Savory Spice Shop) and a small bottle of vodka.

As you enter the party, you are given a number. Mine last night happened to be #6. As a result, I placed a little sticker with #6 on it on top of each of the three presents I brought and placed them under the tree.

Next up: Enjoy conversations with friends, old and new, while enjoying a variety of appetizers and desserts. I was asked to bring an appetizer, which is typically quite challenging for me. Working out of town on business on the same day brought an additional challenge. I needed something good, but also something quick and easy. I made bacon crackers for the first time and oh, they were a hit! I will definitely be making them again. Steve loved them, too. Perfect for game day or poker night.


Now for the presents. Each party-goer heads to the tree to randomly choose 3 different presents for herself. Starting with the person who was given #1, ask for the three people who selected that gift. The person who brought that gift stands up and explains why it is one of her favorite things.  I wasn't able to capture everything, but here are some of the favorite things from last night (in no particular order):
  • Bangle made from tusks from a trip to Kenya (won prize for "best overall")

Such a great way to get ideas for stocking stuffers! And, I got to go home with three brand new favorite things. Score!

Bacon Crackers

Ingredients:
  • Townhouse butter crackers
  • 1 (16 oz) package of bacon
  • brown sugar
  • cayenne pepper
Directions:
Place crackers on a wire rack set on a cookie sheet that has been lined with aluminum foil. Top with bacon. (I sliced each bacon strip into sixths. Next time, I'll probably cut them into fifths.) Sprinkle a generous amount of brown sugar on top of bacon. Lightly sprinkle with cayenne pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Recipe adapted from Debbie Doo's.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover