Saturday, July 19, 2014

Blueberry Coffee Cake

Tomorrow we will be having a family brunch to celebrate Dad's 78th birthday. I'm so grateful for his health . . . still going strong! Although Mom requested that I bring cinnamon rolls, I wanted to try something new since I've been knee-deep in my cinnamon roll experiment this week. I knew it would be the perfect opportunity to make my Aunt Marilyn's blueberry coffee cake.


Whenever it's blueberry season, I think of Aunt Marilyn and Uncle Joe. They used to have so many bushes! When Dad would take us to visit, we were fortunate to leave with some of their bounty. This is one of my favorite pictures of them.

Marilyn and Joe

Marilyn tells more:
"Have I ever mentioned that I love blueberries? I do! When we lived on Hwy 151, we had probably 20 or more bushes. Joe would help me pick each day. Being the person I am, I always had to pick each bush until the ripe ones were gone. Joe could not stay in one spot, though. He picked from one end of the row to another . . . never completing a bush. We would then pour our berries into a big bag. I would have a bowl full, whereas he would only have a hand full! He ate and talked the whole time, telling story after story. So many wonderful memories! After Joe and I would pick and pick and then bag them up, Cindy would take them and sell them at the golf course. Guess who kept the money? :D  Well, the Good Lord closed one door for me. But over the last few years, He has opened another one. I have two special friends that have blueberries, and they let me go pick them. It is amazing how you can solve all of your problems just by picking berries. I love my friends and am so grateful for them!"

Not surprisingly, Marilyn has many blueberry recipes. This is one she has been making for years. When she takes it places, everyone loves it. I'm betting that tomorrow, the Birthday Boy will too! 

Siblings: Marilyn and Dad
Blueberry Coffee Cake

Ingredients for Cake:
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
  • 2 cups self-rising flour
  • 1 cup sour cream 
  • 2 cups blueberries
  • 1/2 cup chopped almonds
Ingredients for Glaze:
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 2 teaspoons milk (I added a little more for desired consistency.)
  • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Directions:
Cream butter, add sugar and mix until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add almond flavoring. Stir in the flour and alternate with the sour cream. Mix well. Pour into a greased 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle with the blueberries and almonds. Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes. 
Mix together ingredients for glaze and pour over warm cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover