Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Chocolate Pie

Last night, our friends Steve and Cindi Burtnett came over for dinner. We had grilled steaks, milk potatoes, salad, and sliced tomatoes. Since Steve's birthday was last Thursday, I knew I wanted to make him a special birthday dessert. Given that he is a major chocolate lover, it was a perfect excuse opportunity for me to finally make my cousin McKinley's chocolate pie.

This recipe is already in our family cookbook, and the story behind it is actually one of my favorites. McKinley has taken over chocolate pie duty for Sunday dinners . . . a tradition passed down from her great grandmother, Bonnie Fulmer (Mema).

"Mema had a neighbor, Bessie Scoggins, who also made a reputable chocolate pie. However, Mema never liked Bessie’s pie because it had water in it instead of milk, and it also used less sugar. Mema loved sweets! When Pepa died, Bessie sent her chocolate pie to Mema as a token of her condolences. Even under those circumstances, Mema would be quick to defend her recipe, claiming to have the best chocolate pie if anyone else stated otherwise!"

Every time I think of this story, I smile as I picture Mema defending her pie. Such a classic Southern vision. :) When I began gathering the ingredients for the pie, I noticed that the needed items matched exactly with a recipe that I already had, except this version did not call for a stick of butter. Oh dear. My initial reaction was that an important ingredient had been inadvertently left off. I decided to trust the recipe and proceed as directed. I'm so glad I did. This turned out to be one of the best pies I've made. Even the meringue turned out better than I've ever experienced. It was a huge hit not only with the birthday boy, but with all of us! Knowing that it didn't have a whole stick of butter in it made the pie guilt free as well. Well, sort of. This is one pie that I will be making over and over again. Thanks, McKinley, for sharing this tradition with the rest of our family!


Chocolate Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup cocoa
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 cup plain flour
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue)
  • 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 1 pie shell
      Meringue:
  • 3 egg whites
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
  • 6 tablespoons sugar

Directions:
Mix cocoa, sugar, salt, flour and milk together. Add beaten egg yolks. Cook over low heat on top of stove, stirring constantly until the mixture thickens. When thickened, remove from stove top and add vanilla. Stir well. Pour into a baked pie shell. (Note: I actually thickened the chocolate by using the microwave instead. I cooked it for 12 minutes, stirring after each 4 minute increment.)

Meringue: Beat egg whites with vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly add sugar, beating until stiff and glossy. Spread over pie filling and bake until meringue is browned.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover