Sunday, March 11, 2012

Buttermilk Pie

Will you be celebrating National Pi Day? This is one of those mostly unknown holidays that us math geeks look forward to. I will be conducting a Kaizen Leader class on that day, so I had a plan. I approached our administrative assistant:

KK:  Holly, do you mind if I make a very nerdy request? Are you familiar with "Happy Pi Day?"
Holly:  No . . .   ??!!??!?
KK:  Well, pi is one of those constants in math. You know. . . 3.14 and a bunch of other numbers. Well, 3.14 is March 14. Get it? And that's when we're holding the Kaizen Leader class. Although pi is actually spelled p-i, I think it would be fun to serve a variety of pizza pies for lunch along with a variety of other pies for dessert. What do you think?

Remarkably, Holly didn't roll her eyes. In fact, she went above and beyond and actually researched this holiday, finding something that I didn't even realize. It is also Albert Einstein's birthday!


I love that! It turns out this small celebration has expanded to include our whole division. You just gotta love working with a bunch of engineers. I really do!  :)

Now Steve is a different story. He is the complete opposite of your stereotypical nerdy math geek. I still giggle each time I recall him saying, "I'm OK with numbers. Really. But when you start putting letters with numbers, I'm outta here!"  But, I know my husband. He'll gladly celebrate any holiday with me if it means that I'll be making him his favorite buttermilk pie:

 
Buttermilk Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1-1/2 cups sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 stick butter, melted
  • 4 tablespoons flour
  • 1/3 cup buttermilk
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 frozen Pillsbury pie crust

Directions:
Mix first 7 ingredients well. Pour into frozen pie crust that has been wiped down with egg white. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover