Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Easy Corn on the Cob


One of my favorite meals has always been simply a plate of home grown vegetables. This is so ironic since I can't grow a thing. Truly. I've tried so many times. I can't even grow tomatoes!

I have even tried gardening on a small scale by starting an herb garden. No luck here either. For two years in a row, my basil grew to about 1/2 inch, then died. The cilantro didn't even make it that far. So, I'm content to keep my nice Longaberger planters with plant markers on my back deck nonetheless.

At this point, I have resolved to support my local farmers. I'm fortunate that we have a great farmers' market here in Cleveland. Since the summer is winding down and presumably fresh veggies are too, I decided to make a trip today. Homegrown tomatoes, green beans, Yukon potatoes, and corn on the cob. Mmmmm.

This also gave me the opportunity to try something new. Keely was actually the first one to tell me about placing the whole corn on the cob in the microwave. (No way!) Yes, she assured me, as she was told by one of her customers whose husband is a farmer. Weeks later, I watched a video of a person preparing it in this manner. Usually things that are too good to be true are, well, too good to be true. I would see for myself. So I began. I placed the two ears in the microwave without even shucking them first.


Cook on high for 4 minutes per ear. So, I cooked them for a total of 8 minutes.


Next, cut the tip off of the bottom.


Then, here is the crazy part. On the video I watched, the man took the top of the corn and just shook it so that the insides cleanly fell out without any silk at all!


Mine wasn't so easy. It did start to come out as shown above, but then got stuck. I ended up shucking the corn after all, but the stalks came off so easily, and the corn tasted great. I'm certain that I'll never boil ears of corn again! Who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover